At 19.4 m., near the southern edge of the village of East Greenwich, is the junction with Forge Rd., which leads to the peninsula of POTOWOMUT, a part of Warwick, though separated from the rest of that city by East Greenwich. It is said that the residents of Potowomut peninsula, a charming spot with its tree-shaded lanes, realize they belong to Warwick only when their annual tax bills arrive. Fire protection for the area once provided a continual topic of controversy.

 

Left on Forge Rd., 0.2. m., is (L) a spring on a trail frequently taken by Roger Williams, founder of the Colony. He named it Elizabeth Spring for the wife of his friend John Winthrop, Jr. After Mrs. Winthrop's death, some time previous to 1675, Williams wrote to Winthrop of his stopping at this place on a trip to the Narragansett country, saying: 'Here is the spring, I say with a sigh, but where is Elizabeth? My charity answers, " She is gone to the Eternal Spring and Fountain of Living Waters.'" A small marker at the bottom of a path descending from Forge Rd. bears the spring's name and the date 1645. At present the spring is dry.

 

At the end of Forge Rd., about 1 m., is the Site of an Old Forge, and the Nathanael Greene Birthplace. A granite monument near the shore of the Potowomut River marks the location of the old forge and blacksmith shop, which belonged to the Greene family. The birthplace of Nathanael Greene, brilliant Revolutionary General, is high on a hillside above the Forge site. This large white frame house (1684) suffered from remodeling in several styles of architecture. Nine generations of the Greene family have lived here. Massive specimens of the anchors made at the Greene forge are in the yard. One anchor is held fast in a tree which has grown around it.

 

On Ives St., which runs north from Forge Rd., is Goddard Memorial Park, a gift to the State in 1927 from Robert H. Ives Goddard of Providence, and his sister the Marquise Madeleine D'Andigne of Paris. Planned by the original owners as a forest reservation, this 470-acre State park contains many rare species of trees. The park has facilities for swimming, baseball, tennis, golf, and riding. Picnic tables and fireplaces are in groves of white pine trees. In 1936, in connection with the . State Tercentenary, several structures were erected to illustrate the village life of the Narragansett Indians. The reconstructions show a typical round house, and a long house, with its imitation birch bark fastened to the roof poles by vines. A circular stockade was also built, with poles extending 9 feet above ground, and tied together at the top by vines.

 

On US 1 at 20 m. is the junction with Pierce Rd. (unpaved). On this road, and visible (R) from the main highway is the Coggeshall House (about 1715), a two-and-one-half-story structure, with a large pilastered stone chimney. It is now known as Spring Brook Farm.

 

Hunt's River Bridge, 20.7 m., marks the East Greenwich-North Kingstown boundary line.

 

In the open, rolling country of this section of North Kingstown, is the junction with Frenchtown Rd. (paved).

 

Right 2.5 m. on Frenchtown Rd. is the village of FRENCHTOWN, on the site of a 17th-century Huguenot settlement that was broken up by boundary controversies between Rhode Islanders and the owners of the Atherton Purchase, who endeavored (1659-71) to keep this part of the Colony under the jurisdiction of Connecticut.

 

At about 21.5 m. is the section known as QUIDNESSET, a flat but pleasant residential area dotted with groups of evergreen trees. It was here that clay was secured for the Colonial pottery works in East Greenwich.

 

At 22.7 m. is the junction with paved Newcomb's Rd.

Left 2 m. on this road is NORTH KINGSTOWN BEACH, a large summer colony where one may enjoy swimming, boating, and fishing. There are good accommodations in season.

 

Opposite the junction with Newcomb's Rd., on an old piece of the highway which has been left as a side street, is the Daniel Fones House (R). Captain Fones commanded the Colony sloop 'Tartar' in the 1745 expedition against Louisburg. This land had been held in the family since 1680, and was part of the Atherton Purchase, bought from John Winthrop, Jr., about 1669. The Indians had sold it to Winthrop and others in 1659.

The present house has been much modernized; its porch and ell are of recent date, and even the gambrel roof on the main section, which has a central chimney bearing the date 1644, is a style much later than the year indicated.

 

Near this house, but a little farther (R) from US 1, is another Daniel Fones House (about 1690), in more conventional Colonial style, with a central chimney and peaked roof. After living in this part of North Kingstown for some time, Fones moved south to the village of Wickford.

 

Devil's Fool Rock, 22.9 m. (R), is a large flat rock with a curious depression which has traditionally been considered as an imprint of the Devil's foot.

The footprint, close to the road, according to legend marks the spot where the Evil One stepped when he came over to the mainland from Conanicut Island.

 

At 23.3 m. is the junction with Camp Ave.

 

Left 2.5 m. on the latter is QUONSET POINT, a summer colony with a good beach.

 

The Richard Smith House, 24.3 m. (L), known also as the Updike House, and as Cocumcussoc, is scarcely visible from the highway because of surrounding trees. This two-and-one-half-story frame structure has a central brick chimney. The modern vine-covered piazza along front and sides disguises the old lines so that the house does not appear to be of late 17th-century type. In 1639, Richard Smith built here his first trading post in the Narragansett Indian territory; its garrison house served as headquarters for the Colonial troops during the campaign which ended in the Swamp Fight in 1675. A few rods in front of the house is a tablet marking the grave of 40 men who fell in this engagement. The house was burned in 1676 by Indians, but a few of its beams are said to be contained in the present house, erected by Richard, Jr., about 1680.

Richard, Sr.'s wife, according to tradition, brought from England a recipe From North Attleboro to New London 331 for cheese that became so popular that the local product was shipped to the southern Colonies and to the West Indies.

 

At the edge of the highway, 24.4 m. (R), is a stone marker stating that near here was situated the Roger Williams Trading Post, established in 1637. Williams spent much of his time here bartering with the Indians. In 1651, he sold his post to Richard Smith, whose trading house was only a few rods distant, in order to obtain money for his journey to England to seek the annulment of the patent (1651-52) under which William Coddington had established a separate government for Newport and Portsmouth.

A little farther back from the highway near the Trading Post marker is the Palmer Northup House, an unusual small structure, high for its horizontal dimensions, with a large stone chimney on the north end. The unevenly spaced windows (those on the second floor have modern panes) suggest an amateurish adaptation of some more conventional design. The house bears some resemblance to a mid-seventeenth-century type, but the porch is undoubtedly of more recent date,

 

At 25 m. is the junction with paved Tower Hill Rd., or US IB, a slightly shorter route than US 1 into South Kingstown.

 

Right on US IB, at 0.6 m., is the junction with State 102, part of which is still called the Ten Rod Road. It was originally laid out 165 feet wide so that herds of cattle could easily be driven from western Rhode Island, and from eastern Connecticut, to Wickford for shipment by sea.

 

The Phillips House, 0.9 m. on US IB (R), in the small village of BELLEVILLE (Town of North Kingstown, alt. 55) is sometimes called Mowbra Castle. The original house (about 1700) consisted of the ell and a part of the present main building. The chief architectural feature of the exterior is a stone pilastered chimney. During the Revolution, Samuel Phillips was a lieutenant in the Continental Navy. He commanded one of the five boats in the daring expedition that captured General Prescott in Portsmouth in July, 1777.

 

At 3.9 m. is the junction with unpaved Shermantown Rd. Right 0.7 m. on this road is Congdon Hill, the Site of St. Paul's, or the Old Narragansett Church, now in Wickford (see below"). The church was founded through the efforts of the English Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts. Dr. James MacSparran was appointed minister of this church in 1721, and served until 1757. The church was built in 1707, and was moved to Wickford in 1800. Dr. MacSparran is buried in the cemetery that adjoined the church.

At 4.9 m. on US IB is the Hazard Carson House (R), a two-story frame structure (about 1775). The living-room in this house, now called Hazeldeane Farm, has a fine Colonial mantel and wainscoting.

 

At 5.5 m. is the North Kingstown-South Kingstown boundary line. As the highway passes over the high rolling country in this vicinity are good distant views of the Pettaquamscutt River, or Narrow River, and Narragansett Bay (L). In the little settlement of BRIDGETOWN, at the head of the Pettaquamscutt River, the^ inhabitants smoke the herrings they catch in the annual runs.

 

In a field (L) at 5.6 m. is an unmarked stone known as Hannah Robinson's Rock.

According to tradition Hannah Robinson, on her return to her father's house after having been deserted by her husband, asked the servants who were carrying her litter to stop that she might get a last look at her beloved Narragansett Country (see below).

At 5.8 m. is the junction with paved Bridgetown Rd. and left 0.6 m. on the latter is the junction with Narrow River Rd. (dirt).

 

1. Left about 0.5 m. on Narrow River Rd. is The Glebe, a dilapidated gable-roofed 332 High Roads and Low Roads frame building. Here dwelt James MacSparran, rector of St. Paul's Church, with his wife Hannah (Gardiner), whose family built the house (about 1690). Notable are the hand-hewn beams and paneled walls. MacSparran's home was a center of lavish hospitality; here were often entertained Dean Berkeley, and John Smibert. the artist. The only thing about South County that this famous Episcopal clergyman disliked was the climate which he found 'either frying or freezing.'

2. Right on Narrow River Rd. is the Thomas G. Hazard Farm on which is the Coojoot Black Lead Mine {unsafe to visit). The Indians of this region used to smear their faces with the lead as a sign of mourning.

 

At 7.45 m. on US IB are stone gateposts (L) through which can be reached, by a footpath which begins at the top of a hill 0.2 m. inside the entrance, Pettaquamscutt Rock, or Treaty Rock. On this spot was negotiated the Pettaquamscutt Purchase of 1658, by which a group of white settlers acquired from the Indians a large tract of land, the boundaries of which were not quite clear, but that may have been 144 sq. mi. in area. The rock is now on private land (visit by consent of owners).

 

At 7.7 m on US IB is the junction with the dirt Middle Bridge Rd. At the junction is a tablet (L) inscribed: 'This Acre of Land was given by Samuel Sewall and Hannah His Wife, September 23, 1707, "To build a Public Meeting House for the Solemn Worship of God." Doctor Joseph Torrey, Minister of this Church, 1732 to 1791, Lies Buried Here.'

 

Left 0.1 m. on Middle Bridge Rd. is the Helme House (L), built before the Revolution, the last remaining house of what was known as Tower Hill, the capital of South Kingstown. In Revolutionary days, a small boy would be sent to the roof of this house to watch the coming and going of the fleet off Newport. Here Benjamin Franklin was frequently entertained on his journeys between Boston and Philadelphia. The present owner is a descendant of Chief Justice Helme, whose name the house bears. Samuel Casey, the silversmith who turned counterfeiter, carried on his business in the attic of this house, between the time his own house burned and the night when he left Rhode Island for a safer clime. He was arrested for his illegal activities in the summer of 1770, and subsequently confined in a jail in the village (not extant, and even its location is uncertain) of LITTLE REST. Casey escaped as the result of a jail delivery the night of November 3, 1770, when 'a considerable Number of People riotously assembled in King's County, and with their faces blacked proceeded to his Majesty's Gaol, there, the outer door of which they broke open with Iron-bars and Pick-Axes.'

 

At 1.1 m. on Middle Bridge Rd. is a marker near the Site of the Jirch Bull Garrison House (R); the house was burned by the Indians December 15, 1675, during King Philip's War.

 

The Carter-Jackson Monument (R), 9 m. on US IB, is a low stone pillar, easily overlooked, which is completely covered by a lengthy inscription. The story connected with this spot is, in brief, that William Jackson of Virginia was murdered here by Thomas Carter of Newport. The latter, renderedPpenniless by a shipwreck, killed Jackson for his money. The deed was done by a dagger, about midnight on January i, 1751. Carter was hanged for the crime, on Tower Hill, the following May. The clanking of the gibbet chains, as the felon's body remained hanging there, often terrified persons who passed by. Thomas R. Hazard wrote that as a boy he heard 'ever and anon, one of Carter's bones fall cajunk to the ground.'

 

As the highway passes over the brow of a hill near the Carter-Jackson Monument, a panorama of the whole country to the south comes into view. A little to the east (L) is NARRAGANSETT PIER, directly south is POINT JUDITH, and slightly to the west (R) is the village of WAKEFIELD nestling in a valley. Much of South Kingstown's rolling acres are covered with Miami stony loam, a strong soil, mellow brown in color, which holds moisture well, and is good for crops of corn, potatoes, and onions.

 

At 10 m. is the junction with US 1.

 

At 25.4 m. on US 1 is the old village of WICKFORD (Town of North Kingstown; sea level), which takes pride in having more well-preserved 18th-century houses than has any other village of its size in New England. Along West Main St., between this point and the village center, are eleven old buildings; but since only three date from before 1800 this may be considered one of the newer sections of Old Wickford. Much of the original village was laid out as a real estate development by Lodowick Updike, grandson of Richard Smith, the trader at Cocumcussoc (see above). Updike began selling lots in 1709. The first house in the village was probably erected in 1711, on the south side of present Washington St.

 

A little to the south of the village center, on US 1, is the Town Hall (L), the administrative center of the township of NORTH KINGSTOWN (alt. 200, pop. 4297), which was incorporated as King's Towne in 1674. In 1686, the name of the town was changed to Rochester, but in 1689 the old name was restored. The town was divided into North and South Kingstown in 1722-23. The act of separation stipulated that North Kingstown should be regarded as the older town. In 1842, the western portion of North Kingstown was set apart and incorporated as the town of Exeter.

 

The first academy in Rhode Island was established here in 1800, as the Washington Academy. Educational endeavors were unstable, the new public school lasting but a few years. This was 28 years before appropriations were made by the State for the establishment of public schools.

 

About a half mile east of the Town Hall is Poplar Point. The old Lighthouse, built here in 1831, is now used as a dwelling-house. A new harbor light has been built out in the bay. On Poplar Point a company of American soldiers, the Newtown Rangers, was captured during the Revolution. From the Point, in 1777, the Americans forced back a bargeload of British soldiers who were attempting to make a landing.

 

On West Main St. west of the center of the village, is the Old Town House (R), a small one-story frame structure (1807). This plain building, reminiscent of countless New England schoolhouses, is now an American Legion Hall.

 

Near the village center, a few yards west of Bridge St., is the Stephen Cooper House (1728), probably the oldest house now standing in Wickford.

It is a gambrel-roofed house, painted gray with brown trimmings.

 

In the center of the village, US 1 turns right, but Main St., straight ahead, is a rich field for students of early American architecture. On this short street are no less than 20 houses, built between 1728 and 1804. On adjoining or near-by streets are more than 40 other old houses, most of them dating from the i8th century.

 

The Immanuel Case House, 64 Main St., probably built in 1786, is an outstanding example of a late 18th-century home. It is a large two and-one-half-story house, rectangular in plan, with two large brick chimneys rising from the ridge of its gable roof. The massive chimneys taper. Interesting features are the corniced windows and the paneled door; Ionic pilasters support the latter's entablature which has a decorated frieze; the entablature is topped by a pediment. The simple lines of the structure and the interesting details combine to give an impression of dignity and affluence. Immanuel Case was tavern-keeper in the old village of Tower Hill; he moved to Wickford in 1786.

 

Branching from Main St. east of the Case House is Church Lane, which leads around a corner to the Old Narragansett Church (open in summer; in winter on application to the Wickford House on Main St.). This church was built on Congdon Hill and moved to Wickford in 1800. According to old records it was moved * between Tuesdays.' It is an exceptionally fine example of an 18th-century church. The building is severely plain in outline, without a tower or other external decoration, except a beautiful doorway surmounted by a large, curved, broken pediment, supported by two plain capped pilasters. A small dark tablet is in the pedimented field. The church is used for summer services; slave pews are still visible in the gallery.

 

Ye Old Narragansett Bank House (1768), on the southwest corner of Main and Fountain Sts., was once used by Deborah Whitford as a bakery. About 1805 it was remodeled by Benjamin Fowler, a merchant, landholder, and financier, to serve as a bank; since 1853 the building has been used for residential purposes. In appearance it is much like the Case House (see above).

 

On the east side of Pleasant St., a few yards north of Main St., is the John Updike House (1745), one of the largest and best-furnished homes of old Wickford. The building is two-and-a-half stories high, with a gable roof and central chimney. It was confiscated from a Tory owner during the Revolution.

 

At the east end of Main St., 0.3 m. from US 1, is a pleasant view of Wickford Harbor.

 

From Main St. a marked side road runs about 0.5 m. to the State Lobster Hatchery (visitors welcome), where lobsters are raised from eggs. The Wickford Hatchery released about 1,500,000 lobsters in 1935. All egg lobsters taken from Rhode Island waters must be turned over to State agents, who send them to this hatchery. The young lobsters that subsequently appear are cared for until they reach the ' bottom-seeking ' stage in which, when released from the hatchery, they go to the bottom of the ocean until they become large enough to protect themselves. The hatchery has on hand at one time about 10,000 baby lobsters.

 

At 25.9 m. (R) is the South County Barn Museum (open Sat., Sun. aft. in summer; at other times by arrangement; adm. 25fi, containing a fine collection of the implements used in early times by farmers, mechanics, and housewives. The tools and products of the various craftsmen and artisans are gathered into small shop units to present an interesting and accurate picture of Colonial life. Here the visitor sees the tools with which the colonist tilled his fields; how he kept his livestock; how he From North Attleboro to New London 335 spun yarn, wove cloth, and made clothing; what he used in caring for the sick; what he used when he hunted and fished, and traveled and traded by land and sea.

 

At 27.2 m. is the small residential village of HAMILTON (Town of North Kingstown, alt. 20). At 29.1 m. is the junction with a paved side road. From the junction can be clearly seen (L) Conanicut Island in the middle of Narragansett Bay, and in front of it the smaller Dutch Island, site of Fort Greble. Fort Greble, constructed during the Civil War, is now garrisoned by a skeleton force. South of this point US 1 runs close to the Bay so that there are many attractive views to the eastward.

 

.Left 0.5 m. on the side road is Plum Beach, a small but excellent bathing beach Here also at Barbour's Heights the town maintained a coast guard and breastworks during the Revolution.

 

At 29.4 m. is the junction with a side road (dirt).

 

Right 1 m. on the latter, in a little brook valley among low rolling hills, is the Gilbert Stuart House (open May-October). In this large barn-like structure (1751), painted a dark red, was born Gilbert Stuart, son of a Scottish snuff-grinder, who became America's great portrait painter. As a young boy Stuart went to school in Newport where he attracted attention by painting dogs and copying other pictures. He spent two years abroad in the early 1770's, painted a short while in Newport in 1775, went to the British Isles again 1775-93, and after that lived and worked in New York or Boston. For a hundred years after Gilbert Stuart's time a gristmill was operated in this building. The old structure has recently been restored by the Gilbert Stuart Memorial, Incorporated, and snuff is once more being made.

The Casey House, 30.1 m. (R), was the scene of several Revolutionary skirmishes. The original floor (about 1725) of the dining-room, which has been overlaid, is riddled with holes, as are three of its doors. A closet at the right of the stairway served as a safe hiding-place for the American minutemen.

 

At 31.7 m. is the junction with paved Old South Ferry Rd. in the northern part of the township of Narragansett.

 

Left 0.5 m. on South Ferry Rd. is the Franklin Ferry House (L), a rambling yellow farmhouse, used as joint dwelling and business office for a ferry which began running shortly before 1700, and was the only means of connection between Newport and the mainland.

 

In front of the Franklin House the paved section of the highway turns left, and on this road, at 1 m. (L) is the large, well-preserved Hannah Robinson House (about 1710). This large two-and-one-half-story gambrel-roofed house was remodeled in 1755 by Rowland Robinson, a wealthy Narragansett planter, grandson of the builder, and father of Hannah. The house was once 105 feet long, but the old kitchen and Negro quarters have been demolished, reducing the length to about 60 feet. The central chimney and straight-roof line are of early Colonial style; the pedimented doorway and gambrel roof are Georgian. The doorway, with fluted pilasters and broken pediment, would appear to date from later than 1755. The general appearance of the house is one of dignity and restraint. The west bedroom, known as the Lafayette Chamber, since it was occupied by the Marquis de Lafayette during the Revolutionary War, contains the names of French officers scratched on the window-panes. In this house, Hannah Robinson met the Frenchman with whom she later eloped. The story of her desertion, of her poverty and illness and her father's unrelenting anger, of the too late reunion of father and daughter, and of the return of the girl on a litter borne by slaves to this house to die, is well told by Alice Morse Earle in 'Old Narragansett.'

 

Straight ahead on the unpaved section of South Ferry Rd. at 0.7 m. is the Narragansett Baptist Church (L), a simple, white frame building visible for miles around because of its location on a treeless hilltop. No regular services are now held here; the building serves as a social center.

 

At 0.8 m. (R) on South Ferry Rd., on the east slopes of a hill overlooking the bay, is Fort Philip Kearney, which was built on the site of the former village of South Ferry. During the Civil War the village consisted of eight or nine tenement houses, an inn and a mill that manufactured jean cloth. At the present time the mill engine room and dye house are still standing. In 1905, the Government bought twenty-five acres of this land from the Davis Pain Killer Manufacturing Company and built Fort Kearney. Two companies were stationed here during the World War, to help Forts Greble and Getty prevent enemy boats from passing up Narragansett Bay to Providence and towns en route. Mines were laid, and a net was strung across the bay to prevent the entrance of enemy submarines.

 

At 32.3 m. is the junction with a paved side road marked 'Bonnet Point.'

 

From this junction is clearly visible Beaver Tail Light at the south end of Conanicut Island (see Tour 7 A).

 

Left on this road 0.5 m. is, standing a little to the north, the William Gardiner House (L), gable-roofed with a central chimney, the home of a wealthy 18th-century farmer, whose daughter, Hannah, married Dr. James MacSparran, pastor of St. Paul's Church. Mrs. MacSparran died in London during a plague.

 

On BONNET POINT, 1 m., which is now a summer colony, was a Revolutionary Fort, erected in 1777, but twice rebuilt. During the Revolution, it was used continuously, and again, during the War of 181 2, a battery was stationed here. During the Civil War it was rumored that the Confederate cruiser ' Alabama ' was anchored in the bay and once again the fort was strengthened and a battery put on duty. The fortifications have since been demolished.

 

At 34.5 m. is the junction with a paved side road.

 

Left 0.2 m. on this road is the Hazard House (L). It is a large, square, white frame house (about 1740), with a front lawn sloping gently down toward the bay. From the front of the house can be seen Whale Rock Light, between the mainland and Conanicut Island. The lighthouse was completed in 1872.

 

The Hazard House is on the northern edge of the village of Narragansett, which is the administrative center for the township of the same name.

 

NARRAGANSETT, 36.1 m. (alt. 15, town pop. 1258). The township has been a separate political entity hardly more than a quarter-century, since it was incorporated in 1901, though in 1888 it was set aside as a special district in the township of South Kingstown. Narragansett perpetuates the name of the great tribe of Indians which at one time roamed over this territory. The Narragansett Indians were killed or driven away at the time of King Philip's War, 1675-76. The 19th-century mansion of Governor William Sprague (1860-63), which burned in 1909, was built on the site of one of the camping grounds of Canonchet, last notable sachem of the tribe.

 

The town is situated in the southeastern part of Washington County about 30 m. from Providence. Narragansett is a long narrow strip of land with a very irregular coastline. The surface is fairly level with several low rolling hills, the soil of which is well adapted to general farming. The Pettaquamscutt River forms the western boundary of the town. There are several salt-water inland ponds throughout Narragansett, the largest being Point Judith Pond. As a farming community in Colonial days, this section of the State, referred to as South County or the Narragansett Country, was lorded over by slave-owners who managed large tracts of land, and who, as wealthy proprietors, led a life of comparative leisure.

 

Narragansett is best known as a summer resort today, although some farming and fishing are carried on here. Many years ago a long pier jutted out into the water just below the largest bathing beach, and here vessels of all descriptions landed passengers and cargoes. The heavy surf tore the pier away, but today this part of Narragansett is still known as Narragansett Pier. The beaches above and below the Pier continue to attract thousands during the summer months.

 

Gossip records a tale about an old woman who would sit for hours motionless at her loom. After she had gone home at night, the family for whom she worked would wake and hear the halftoned clapping of the loom, run perhaps by the Devil himself in his zeal to help the witch with her stint. At the end of the week more cloth appeared on the cloth beam, more linen was ready for bleaching, and more reels of carpet were woven than could be turned out by any man-weaver in the province. After the old woman's death, the windows in her house were broken by witch hating passersby, and the spring rains and the summer suns freely entered the rooms. The bed on which she died, a sack full of barley straw with occasional spikes of grains attached, sprouted and grew through the coarse hempen bedtick, and became as green and flourishing as the grass on her unmarked grave.

 

About a half-mile north of the center of the village, and visible from US 1, is the well equipped Dunes Club (L), aptly named for its surroundings. The club is for members and their guests. The main clubhouse is a low rambling stucco structure 300 feet long, and two stories high with an impressive clock-tower. The club is near the north end of Narragansett Pier beach, a crescent-shaped strip of sand about a half- mile in length.

 

Near the village center is Sherry' 's Bathing Pavilion.

 

At 36.1 m. in the center of Narragansett, US 1 turns right on Narragansett Ave.

 

Straight ahead at the intersection is the route to Point Judith, 5.7 m.

 

At 0.1 m. turn left on Beach St., past Pettaquamscutt Park on the site of the former Hotel de la Plage, between the Casino Theater and the Narragansett Beach Corporation. The park serves as a convenient passageway to the beach walk and is a pleasant place to rest. Band concerts are held here during the summer months. Just beyond the park the highway bears right on Ocean Rd. Near the turn is The Towers. This was originally the home of the old Narragansett Casino. Only a stone arch across the road, with two large towers at either end, is left of the old Casino which was burned some time ago. This building is now used as a store. Nearby is the Coast Guard Station (L), a two-story stone building with a slate roof (1887). At about 1 m. the built-up section of the village of Narragansett gives way to the large estates of summer colonists, which line both sides of the highway.

 

Hazard Castle, 1.3 m. (R), almost hidden from the road by trees, is a large building of rough stone, with two large granite towers. The house was begun in 1846, as an imitation of an English abbey, by Joseph Peace Hazard, but he soon abandoned it in an unfinished condition, and vegetation grew up in wild confusion. The house was then given the name of the 'Haunted Castle.' In 1883, a nephew of the original builder bought the place and completed it. A view from the top of the square tower (the other is hexagonal), 165 feet above sea level, includes from the northeast to the southwest every point from Newport to Block Island, while to the northwest may be seen Wakefield and Peace Dale. In this building, some years ago, Mr. Dwight W. Tryon, the New York artist, had a studio.

 

The entrance to the Point Judith Country Club, for members and their guests, is at 1.8 m. (R). The club maintains a golf course, tennis courts, and polo grounds. The polo games are held the last week in July and the first two weeks in August (open; adm. 55 cents).

 

Scarborough Beach, 3.5 m. (L), is a State reservation with a fine beach. A large pavilion is now being constructed on the reservation.

 

At 4.7 m. is the junction with a paved side road.

 

Right 0.7 m. on this road is Sand Hill Cove, another State reservation. The bathing beach is enclosed by the Point Judith Breakwater. GALILEE, 1.7 m., is an oldfashioned little fishing village.

 

Ocean Rd. ends 5.7 m. at POINT JUDITH. Many stories are told about the origin of the name. Some say the Point was named for the wife of John Hull, Boston goldsmith and mintmaster, while others claim that it was named for Judith Stoddard, his mother-in-law. Also, there is the legend that the name was given by some churchman from Boston, who took the name from the Bible. On some of the earliest maps the name is printed ' Point Juda Neck.' Another story goes that a Nantucket captain was lost in the fog and did not know in which direction to steer. His daughter, in the boat with him, presently cried out that she spied land. The old captain, not so quick to see it, commanded anxiously, 'Pint, Judy, pint!' Whatever its derivation, the name of Point Judith refers to a piece of land now known to all mariners as one of the most dangerous spots along the Atlantic Coast. The Point Judith Coast Guard Station is on this point. During the Revolution a coast guard and tower beacon were maintained here. In 1888, a Coast Guard Station was built. The building burned down in 1933 and was replaced by a new station which was completed in 1935. Near the Coast Guard Station is Point Judith Lighthouse. The first lighthouse was a wooden structure built in 1806. This was blown down in the great gale of September, 1815. The present building is an octagonal stone building which was built in 1816. The light is operated by electricity. Though dangerous to seafarers, Point Judith appears tame on ordinary occasions. The surrounding land is flat, sandy, and nearly treeless. Only when high winds roll up huge breakers does the Point impress landlubbers with its threatening character.

 

On Narragansett Ave., US 1, is the Mansion House (L), a four-story summer hotel which contains the most beautiful corner-cupboard in South County, a cupboard that was probably brought from an older house, the Thomas Mumford Homestead, which stood nearer the Tower Hill Road and was burned many years ago. Thomas Mumford, one of the original Pettaquamscutt Purchasers, owned large tracts of land in this part of Narragansett.

 

Near the western edge of the village is Sprague Memorial Park (R). In the distance on a hilltop (R) can be seen a tall brown structure, the Tower Hill House (in South Kingstown), a home for under-privileged children conducted by Roman Catholic charities.

 

At 38 m., near the South Kingstown boundary line, is the junction with US IB (see side tour above), and also the paved Kingstown Rd. leading to Peace Dale.

 

US IB (see side tour above), and also the paved Kingstown Rd. leading  to Peace Dale.

 

Right 0.7 m. on the latter road is the Scallop Shell (R), the home of Miss Caroline Hazard.  Miss Hazard, President of Wellesley College from 1899 to 1910, was the author of many books, including 'Anchors of Tradition,' ' Narragansett Ballads,' 'A Scallop Shell of Quiet.'

 

At 1.5 m. is the village of PEACE DALE (Town of South Kingstown, alt. 40).  This village is the home of the Peace Dale Manufacturing Company, the chief  industry of the place; its history dates from 1800. Isaac P. and Rowland G. Hazard  erected a mill here for the making of fine woolens, and in 1848 they procured a  charter for the Peace Dale Manufacturing Company. Under their organization the  new mill began to turn out shawls in 1849.  In 1856, the works were greatly enlarged and in 1872, a new mill was added for the manufacture of worsted goods.  In earlier times the farmers of Peace Dale raised large quantities of flax; the seeds  were pressed into oil and the fiber of the flax was woven into linen. In 1751, the  General Assembly passed an act for promoting the raising of flax by giving a  bounty. The stores all took flax in barter and each kept a machine for beating out  the seed.

 

Near the center of the village, on Kingstown Rd., is the Hazard Memorial Library,  a fine stone building erected by the Hazard family in memory of the late Rowland  G. Hazard.

 

On the southeast corner of Kingstown Rd. and Columbia St. is the Museum of  Primitive Culture (open 10-2 daily except Sunday; free}. This collection, the work  of Rowland G. Hazard, was inspired by his interest in primitive peoples. In the  collection are several thousand specimens obtained from various localities in the  United States and from many foreign countries. The bulk of the material is  archeological, consisting of stone artifacts, such as arrows, spearheads, etc., with  ethnological items, such as baskets, costumes, pestles, and skinscrapers. A number of objects pertain to the early history of Rhode Island.

 

At 38.6 m. is the village of WAKEFIELD (Town of South Kingstown,  alt. 40). The center of the village is crowded with small stores, but to  the south US 1 passes many large homes set amid beautiful tree-shaded  lawns. The Wakefield Manufacturing Company, once known as the Narragansett Mills, was operating in Wakefield before 1800. After several  changes in ownership and management, the company was sold (1866) to  Robert Rodman who manufactured here, for many years, jeans and  doeskins. The company is now managed by a New York concern which  manufactures woolen cloth.

 

On High St. in the village of Wakefield is the Town Hall, the administrative center of SOUTH KINGSTOWN (alt. 333, pop. 6010).

 

South Kingstown was formerly a part of the township of Kingstown,  incorporated in 1674. Kingstown was divided into North and South  Kingstown in 1723. Three-quarters of a century earlier a settlement was  made at Pettaquamscutt (1657-58). In 1888, Narragansett was set off  from South Kingstown as an incorporated district and in 1901 it was  incorporated as a separate town. It is the largest town in area (62.9  sq. m.) in Rhode Island, and it contains the State's largest body of  fresh water, Worden's Pond, one of the sources of the Pawcatuck River.

 

In South Kingstown the Narragansett Indians had their stronghold, and  it was among these pleasant valleys and hills that they hunted, fished,  and tilled their small fields of corn before the white settlers came. There are a few Indians remaining now in the township. Most of those that  are living here are not of pure blood, but are intermingled with other  races, some with the Negro.

 

On Old Kingston Rd. at Rocky Brook, 0.3 m. west of High St., is the  William Rodman House, which some authorities hold to be the birthplace of Oliver Hazard Perry. The house more often referred to as the  Perry House is about 2 m. south of Wakefield on US 1 (see below).  

 

Sugar Loaf  Hill, which rises about 50 feet above the highway at 39.2 m.  (R), is of disputed origin. Some have held it to be an artificial foundation  erected by the Indians, but geologists claim that it is a natural hill.  There is a good view from its summit.

 

At 39.25 m. an older section of the Post Rd. (paved) branches off to the  right.

 

Right 0.1 m. on this road is the Willard Hazard House (R), better known as the  Tavern. This long, two-and-one-half-story shingled structure was built about 200  years ago. The pulvination which tops the windows on the first floor is unusual.  Here, according to Thomas Hazard's 'Jonny-Cake Papers,' the widow Nash  combed the hair of William Jackson, the unfortunate traveler from Virginia who  was murdered by Thomas Carter

(see http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=29314 )(see above). For years this house, with its taproom and great ballroom on the second floor, was a haven of rest when coaches  rolled between Kingston and Narragansett. It is still a hostelry, known as Ye Old Tavern.

 

At 0.2 m. on the Old Post Rd. is the Dockray House (R), one of the older houses of  South County and a famous landmark, with its chimney and oddly placed windows.  John Dockray, a merchant from Newport, bought the land from Daniel Stedman,  'with dwelling,' on February 25, 1769. The ell, once used as a store, is believed  to have been built in 1725.

 

At 40.7 m. is a marker (R) stating that here stood an old schoolhouse  in 1728.

 

At 40.8 m. is the junction with a dirt lane.

 

Right 0.3 m. on the latter is the Oliver Hazard Perry House (open May 30 to Oct. 1,  11-6; admission 25 each for large parties, otherwise adults 50^, children 25^). It is  a two-story, gambrel-roofed house, restored in 1929 by Mrs. Perry Tiffany, wife  of the last descendant-owner. The land has been held by the Perry family since  1702, when Benjamin Perry came here from Sandwich, Massachusetts. This house  has been called ' the house that launched a fleet of ships.' From here Oliver Hazard  Perry went to take command of the American inland fleet on Lake Erie. The  house contains many relics both of Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry and his  younger brother Commodore Matthew C. Perry, who opened the ports of Japan to  the world.

 

The Samuel G. Potter House, 41.7 m. (L), a one-and-one-half-story structure, was built about 1800 on a part of the John Potter Estate, by Samuel  G. Potter who was twice Lieutenant-Governor. The house, surrounded  by evergreens, stands back some distance from the highway.

 

At 41.9 m. is the junction with an unpaved side road marked 'Snug  Harbor.' Here is a good view of Potter Pond (L).

 

Left on this road 0.1 m. is the John Potter House (R), a one-and-one-half-story  shingled structure. The chronicles of this region describe John Potter as an 18th century squire, fond of foxhunting, the pleasures of the table and good wine; as  skillful in fishing for votes of Rhode Island freemen as for striped bass; an acknowledged but not convicted counterfeiter the legend being that when the King's  runners were sighted, Potter threw his counterfeiting press into the deepest part of  Potter Pond, from which it was never recovered.

 

At 42.7 m. is the junction with a dirt road marked 'Matunuck Point.'  Along this road on the way to the shore may be enjoyed, in early summer,  the delicate fragrance of mountain laurel in bloom.

 

Left 1 m. on this road is the Hazard Holland House (L). This house, situated back  some distance from the road, was built about 1778 and once belonged to General  Stanton, an 18th-century soldier and politician. The house still has its original  doors and windows, three of which have inside sliding shutters.

 

Matunuck Beach, 1.6 m., is one of the oldest summer colonies on the Atlantic seaboard. There are many beautiful homes and hotels at this beach. To the west of  the beach is Matunuck Point, and the Matunuck Theater-by-the-Sea, open during  the summer months. It has a summer stock company with well-known actors and  actresses playing the leading roles.

 

The Wager Weeden Watering Place, 42.6 m. (L), is marked by a tall  stone slab, noting that water used to be brought to this spot, from the  pure waters of nearby Wash Pond, by Wager Weeden (see below).

 

Opposite the Weeden tablet, on a hill back of several houses near the  roadside, is the Edward Everett Hale House (R), with an H cut in its  wooden window-shutters. There the author of the 'Man Without a  Country ' spent his summer among the natural beauties he loved so well.

 

Willow Dell (1785), 42.85 m. (L), an attractive large house painted  yellow, with red trimmings, and green blinds, was the 19th-century home  of Judge Wager Weeden, grandfather of William Babcock Weeden the  historian. The house is a rambling structure with several distinct units.  The two-story gambrel-roofed section follows the two-room, central  chimney principle common to the i8th century; the larger three-story  unit and ell are later additions. Because of their greater height and floor  space, the additions make a sort of tail that wags the dog.

 

At 43.4 m. is the junction with Perryville Rd. (paved).

 

Right on the latter is a hilly country covered with scrub oak and pine. At 2.1 w.,  at the intersection with Tuckertown Rd., is the Captain Tucker House (L), built  in 1731, and much remodeled. On the estate, now owned by Mr. Albert Lownes,  has been constructed, some distance behind the Tucker House, a replica of the  Roger Mo wry House, a Providence house typical of the middle iyth century.

 

At 3.4 m. on Perryville Rd. is a stone slab marker (R) stating that near this spot  was formerly the Ministerial Woods, a tract of about 300 acres set aside in 1668  for the support of a minister. For a long time both Congregationalists and Episcopalians claimed the land, the former receiving undisputed possession in 1752.  In 1821, the land was divided into house lots and sold, the proceeds being given  to the Kingston Congregational Church.

 

The village of PERRYVILLE (Town of South Kingstown, alt. 90), 44 m.,  is marked by a church and a half-dozen houses; it was named for the  many Perry families who live, or used to live, in this part of the township.

 

At 44.1 m. is the junction with the unpaved Moonstone Beach Rd.

 

Left 1.6 m. on this road is the Samuel Perry House (L). This house must have been  built between 1696, when Samuel Perry came to Kingstown and was made a freeman of the Colony, and 1716 when he willed the homestead, a mill, and 146 acres  of land to his son James. With this house is connected the legend of the ring that  returned from the sea. The wife of one of the Perrys, boasting of her riches, threw her golden wedding ring into the sea, remarking that it would be as impossible for  her to become poor as for her ring to return. Sometime later her husband cut her  ring out of a fish that was being served at dinner, whereupon the lady grew pale  with fear. Years later she died in poverty.

 

At the end of the road is Moonstone Beach, 2 m., named for the yellow-white, or  pearl-like, color of its sand.

 

The Great Chimney House, 44.6 m. (L), known also, as the Browning  House (about 1750), now stands in a dilapidated condition in an auto  scrap yard. Nearly opposite this weather-beaten, shingled house is the  Quaker Burial Ground, which is about 200 feet to the right of the highway and not visible from it. George Fox preached to the colonists in  this vicinity in 1671, and soon after that his converts erected a meetinghouse near the present burial ground. James Perry, Sr., was instrumental  in its building, and he gave three acres of land for a free burial lot. The  meetinghouse was torn down in 1888.

 

At 45.9 m. is the junction with paved Green Hill Rd.

 

Left on this road 1.8 m. is the intersection with a dirt road, near which intersection  is the Babcock House (about 1788), built on the top of Green Hill (L), overlooking  Trustom Pond and the sea.

 

Green Hill Coast Guard Station (open) (1912), 2.2 m., has been inactive since April,  1933, but is maintained in first-class condition.  

 

At 46.4 m. is the South Kingstown-Charlestown boundary line. This  part of Charlestown is flat and sandy. From the highway is visible (L)  the ocean-front beach, which is separated from the mainland by Charlestown or Ninigret Pond. The evenly spaced summer cottages on the  beach stand out against the ocean background like the teeth of a gigantic  saw.

 

At 46.9 m. is the Charlestown Airport (L), a level field used only for  emergency landings.

 

At 47 m. is the junction with an unpaved road, marked 'Charlestown  by the Sea.'

 

Left 1 m. on this road is Charlestown Beach, offering surf-bathing, and camping  places for the tourist. The beach also has three good hotels, open in season. Here  also is the Charlestown Breachway where Charlestown Pond connects with the  Atlantic Ocean.

 

General Stanton Inn (open in summer) (about 1755), 47.5 m. (R), is a  three-story, gambrel-roofed, frame building, with shingled ends and a  clapboard front. In the middle of the igth century this inn was the real  political headquarters of Rhode Island.

 

The cluster of houses and small stores at 48.1 m. is the village of  CHARLESTOWN, also called CROSS'S MILLS (Town of Charlestown, alt. 20). In the village center, near the intersection with State 2,  are two corn-meal mills. The larger and more modern of the two is run  by Mr. Benjamin Gavitt. This plant uses a Diesel engine for its power,  but the meal is ground by stones that are over 200 years old. Across  the street is Mr. Robert Browning's mill, the Indian Maid, run by the old water-power system.

 

The Town Hall and an old Indian Burial Ground are right from the   village center on State 2 (lee Tour 3).   Charlestown Township (alt. 100, pop. 1118) was taken from Westerly   and incorporated in 1738. It was named for King Charles II, who gave   Rhode Island its charter in 1663.

 

At 48.3 m. is the junction with an unpaved road marked 'Fort Ninigret.'

 

Left 0.2 m. on the latter is Fort Neck Lot, a three-quarter-acre reservation owned  by the Rhode Island Historical Society, though maintained by the State as a park.  It is at the head of a cove opening from Ninigret Pond. This fort was supposed for  many years to have been the stronghold of the Niantic Indians, but it is now  generally conceded that it was built by the early Dutch traders and used as a trading post. Bastions and other evidences of military engineering skill found in the  fort, whose original outlines are now preserved by an iron fence, seem to support  this theory. Here Captain John Mason of Connecticut, and his little band of white  men, when on their long and dreary march into the Pequot country in 1637, halted  for one night. Sitting around their council fire with the Niantic braves, Mason  persuaded Ninigret to join in warring against their ancient enemy.

 

At 49 m. (L) is the King Tom Farm (open June to September by permission  of the owner), a two-and-one-half -story, gambrel-roofed building, painted  yellow. The house was built between 1746 and 1769. Thomas Ninigret,  better known as King Tom, was born in 1736; he went to England to  be educated and from there brought plans for his home. The wainscoting  and much of the interior work for the house were wrought in Newport.  The house subsequently burned, but the original boundary has been  marked with a low wall; in the rear a garden has been laid out, and on  the foundation of the old chimney has been placed a bronze tablet,  bearing a reproduction of the original King Tom House. On this farm  is Coronation Rock, where the Narragansett Indians crowned their chieftains. The date 1770 is cut upon it, commemorating the year in which  the last coronation took place.

 

At 50 m. is the junction with an unpaved road marked 'Kimball Bird  Sanctuary/

 

Right about 1.3 m. on this road is the Kimball Bird Sanctuary (open at all times), on  the shore of Watchaug Pond. The grounds, beautifully landscaped with sumachs  and red cedars, belong to the Audubon Society of Rhode Island. The Sanctuary  has been in existence for nearly 12 years. It is being continually improved by the  addition of more facilities, such as bird-houses and other equipment.

 

At 51.9 m. is the junction with an unpaved road marked 'Burlingame  Reservation.'

 

Right about 1 m. on this road is the Burlingame Reservation, a State park acquired  in 1927. Its land area is 3100 acres, about half of which is forested with broadleaf  and pine. The Reservation is a game preserve, containing partridge, pheasant,  quail, deer, rabbits, and squirrels. A water area of 500 acres provides for swimming  and skating in season. Burlingame Camp, i4ist Co., C.C.C., built in 1933, is on  Watchaug Pond which skirts the reservation.

 

At 52.5 m. is the junction with an unpaved road.

 

Left 1.9 m. on this road is Quonochontaug Beach, where there are several hotels  with excellent accommodations for guests seeking summer diversion, swimming,  boating, fishing, etc. The hotels and inns are comfortable, as well as moderate in  their rates.

 

The General Stanton Monument, 52.6 m. (L), is a granite shaft about  20 feet high, erected by the State in honor of Joseph Stanton, Jr., who  was born in Charlestown in 1739. General Stanton was prominent as a  soldier in the French and Indian War. He was a colonel in a Rhode  Island regiment during the Revolution, and he was also prominent in  politics, being one of the first two U.S. Senators from Rhode Island.

 

Opposite the monument is the Old Wilcox Tavern (open in summer},  known also as the Monument House (about 1730). It was here that  General Stanton was born. Recent renovation has restored the house,  and especially its furnishings, to its 18th-century condition.

 

At 53.6 m. is the Charlestown- Westerly boundary line. Near the line,  at 53.8 m., is the junction with a dirt road.

 

Left about 1 m. on this road is SHELTER HARBOR, an exclusive summer resort  not open to the general public. At one time this resort was called Music Colony.  Many singers and artists have summer homes here.

 

At HAVERSHAM CORNER, 54.3 m., the Watch Hill Shore Rd. leads  left, about 6 miles to WATCH HILL (see Tour L4).

 

At DUNN CORNERS, 55.6 m., is the intersection with paved Weekapaug Rd.

 

Left 0.6 m. on Weekapaug Rd., at the intersection with Shore Rd., is a bronze  tablet marking the Site of the Samuel Ward House (R). Here lived Samuel Ward  the Elder, who was born at Newport in 1725. He was the son of Governor Richard  Ward. In 1745, he married Anna Ray of Block Island, and removed to Westerly.  His high character and varied intellectual attainments at once found recognition  and he soon became a political leader, whose influence extended over all the Colony.  He was Governor, 1762-63, and 1765-67; this was in the exciting period before the  Revolution, and Governor Ward counseled the people to resist English aggression.  The letters that he wrote at the time are among the prized historical records of the  State. At the opening of the Revolutionary War he was chosen by the Colony,  with Stephen Hopkins, to represent Rhode Island in the First Continental Congress  at Philadelphia; he was re-elected to the same position in 1775, and while in the  discharge of his duty died at Philadelphia, on March 25, 1776.

 

Right from Weekapaug Rd. on Shore Rd. 1.5 m. is the Winnapaug Golf Club (open  at nominal charge}, an 18-hole course which extends along Winnapaug Pond and  inland through a hilly and woody countryside of natural beauty.

 

At 1.4 m on Weekapaug Rd. by the Weekapaug Bridge (R) is the intersection with  Atlantic Ave.

 

Right 2.6 m. on Atlantic Ave. is MISQUAMICUT (Town of Westerly, sea level),  another beautiful summer resort; its beach, which extends along the Atlantic  Ocean for about three miles, is the first ocean beach on the mainland east of New  York. The majority of the cottages and hotels face the beach, with the main  street or Atlantic Ave. to the rear. There is a busy shopping center which caters  to the needs of the vacationists. The great salt pond, Winnapaug, in the rear of  the beach, affords protected sailing and canoeing, also fish, crabs, and clams. Before 1894 there were no permanent dwellings here. In the latter year, Court B.  Bliven of Westerly, who had a tent at the point, decided to build a cottage, and  soon a group of Westerly men purchased a long strip of beach property and erected  several other cottages. Bliven's wife named the group Pleasant View. Up to this  time hunters and fishermen had camped on the dunes; families held picnics, dug  clams, and swam in the ocean or pond; and farmers had come here to collect seaweed for fertilizer. As no crops could be raised, the dunes were considered of little  value. From 1894 to 1903 the resort made but slow progress, there being but 28  cottages erected in that period. A hotel, the Pleasant View House, was erected by James Collins of Westerly in 1903, and in the next eight years the resort was given  a good road, a post office, water system, and electricity. In 1928, the name was  changed from Pleasant View to Misquamicut, the Colonial term for the locality.  In Misquamicut is Atlantic Beach Casino (dancing; roller skating), and the Westerly  Town Beach (free; parking $.25)

 

From the intersection with Atlantic Ave., Weekapaug Rd. continues into the village  of WEEKAPAUG, 1.6 m. (Town of Westerly, alt. 20), a secluded summer resort  whose coastline offers an unspoiled combination of rocky shore and sandy stretches.  The main road winds in and out along the ocean front affording on clear days  a distant view of BLOCK ISLAND (R) (see Tour 8). The village has several  hotels, but there is no shopping center, save for a general store and post-office near  the Weekapaug Bridge. West of the bridge on Atlantic Ave. is a privately owned  Tourist Camp (open; nominal^ charge} and bathing pavilion. Quonochontaug Pond,  a salt-water pond one mile wide and three miles long, with tree-lined rocky shores,  lies just north of the beach. Weekapaug Beach was formerly called Noyes's Beach,  for the Noyes family which lived on a farm a mile or so back from the shore. The  Rev. James Noyes of Newport purchased a large tract of land here from a Pequot  chief in the middle i8th century. The Noyes Homestead was taken down in 1883  to make way for summer cottages. The development of this spot as a resort began  about 1874 when Sanford Stillman erected a cottage on what is now called Fenway  Road; this cottage became the Stillman House (open in summer). A few other  cottages were built at this time, but the main road was not then in existence and  a large sand dune stood where the Weekapaug store and post-office now are. The  only approach to the beach was a narrow path through the fields. Bars had to  be let down at several places and replaced so that progress was slow and difficult.  The present road was cut through the large dune formerly in front of the store, and  the other dunes have been attacked by man and Nature until few of them are left.

 

The countryside between 56.7 m. and 57 m. is hilly, and steep sand  dunes are visible to the left.

 

At 58 m. on US 1 is the Old Whipping Post Farm (R), also known as  the Gavitt House. A large buttonwood tree stood in front of this old  house and was used as a whipping post. The last instance of a public  whipping in Westerly occurred in 1830 when a man was tried and convicted for stealing sheep. The thief was sentenced to receive 19 stripes  from Sheriff Gavitt. This old house was for many years used as an inn,  and in the west front room the Westerly town meetings were held. During the meeting of April, 1826, just as the votes were being polled, the  floor of the house gave way in the center and precipitated the politicians  down among the pork barrels and potato bins. No serious injuries resulted from this catastrophe, but one poor though cool-headed citizen  was heard to remark as he rolled down heavily upon his wealthy neighbor,  'Well, well, here is where the rich and the poor meet together.'

 

The built-up section of Westerly begins at 58.8 m. US 1 passes the  Joshua Babcock House, 59.1 m. (R), and the Smith Granite Quarry nearby.

 

WESTERLY, 59.7 m. (alt. 15, township pop. 10,997), a resort (see WESTERLY).

 

Points of Interest: Lucy Carpenter House, Captain Card House, Westerly Memorial Bldg. and Library, and others.

 

In the center of Westerly is the junction with Elm St., to Watch Hill (see Tour I A).

 

At 60 m. on the Pawcatuck Bridge over the river of the same name US 1 crosses the Connecticut Line, 19 m. east of New London, Conn.

 

TOUR 1 A : From WESTERLY to WATCH HILL, 5.5 m.

 

Via Avondale.

Well-paved road.

 

THIS short route, to one of the most picturesque spots in the State, runs close to the banks of the Pawcatuck River.

Left from US 1 in Westerly on Elm St., by Christ Church.

At 1 m. on the Watch Hill Rd., here called Beach St., is the junction with Wells St. Near the junction (L) is the Westerly Hospital, incorporated in 1921 and opened in 1925, a modern community institution with accommodations for 52 patients. The two-story building of red brick is built in the shape of a 'T' with the front facing west toward Beach St. and overlooking the Pawcatuck River. Westerly granite is used extensively in the foundation and trim of the building and especially at the main entrance where an approach leads up a series of granite steps to a terrace. Owing to its high elevation, a good view is available from this terrace. Connected with the hospital is the Sarah Alexander Champion Home for Nurses, the gift of Charles P. Champion of Avondale. The building is a three-story Georgian type structure of stucco with brick trim and green shutters. The architects for both buildings were the Kendall Taylor Company of Boston.

 

River Bend Cemetery, 1.4 m. (R), an 18-acre tract on the east bank of the Pawcatuck River, was dedicated in 1852. Many fine monuments of Westerly granite stand in the tastefully landscaped grounds. Ellen Fitz Pendleton (1864-1936), former president of Wellesley College, is buried here.

 

Westerly Yacht Club (private) (R), 2 m., was formed in 1928 when the present building was erected. It is a one-story white frame building with a snub-nose-gable roof. When established the club had a membership of 20, the majority of whom owned power boats. Outboard regattas, held on the Pawcatuck River the Fourth of July in 1929 and 1930, drew entrants from all parts of New England.

 

Across the river from the Yacht Club is the Pawcatuck Rock (in Connecticut) which at one time marked the head of navigation. Adriaen Block (see History) came up the river to this point in 1614. The Old Town Dock, which was formerly on the site of the Yacht Club, served as the landing place for Charlestown, Richmond, and Hopkinton before these towns were separated from Westerly.

 

The Old Babcock Burying Ground, 2.5 m. (L), just south of Mastuxet Brook in the section of Westerly still called Mastuxet, is probably near the site of the home of John and Mary Babcock, the first white settlers in Westerly. This cemetery, probably the oldest in town, contains the remains of John and Mary Babcock and of many of their descendants. Two large horizontal tablets mark the graves of James and Joshua Babcock. James was the first white child born in Westerly and Joshua was the owner of the Old Babcock House on Granite St. (see WESTERLY). Many of the stones bear old-fashioned inscriptions, such as:

 

'Behold and see as you pass by

As you are now so once was I.'

 

The cemetery is now overgrown with trees and shrubbery and in the summer it is difficult to find some of the headstones. The village of AVONDALE (alt. 20, Westerly Town), 3.3 m., most of which lies right of Watch Hill Rd., is a little cluster of beautiful summer residences situated on the banks of the Pawcatuck River, from which in late afternoon there are glorious views as the sun goes down behind the dark green foliage of Osbrook Point. The village was founded in a manner now illegal. It was formerly known as Lotteryville, because it was settled through a lottery conducted by the State. In 1748, Joseph Fox of Newport, a scrivener, was committed to jail because he could not pay a debt of 3000. He successfully petitioned the General Assembly for a lottery to raise money for his obligations. Though it was unusual to authorize a lottery to aid a private individual, the assembly granted one for 32,000, one-eighth to be reserved to pay Fox's debt and incidental expenses. When the accounts of the Joseph Fox Lottery were settled in 1750, there was a profit of 406, 145., 8d., which was paid into the general treasury. This was the first instance in which the Colony received any of the proceeds from a lottery. The success of this enterprise suggested interesting possibilities to others; when Colonel Joseph Pendleton of Westerly found himself in financial straits in 1749, owing to the loss of a vessel and its uninsured cargo of rum and molasses, he adopted a similar plan of action. His only asset was a large tract of land near the mouth of the Pawcatuck River, with plenty of stone and timber for building vessels and houses. A lottery was granted and the land was divided into 124 lots of one-quarter acre each, and 1460 prizes were allotted, amounting to 15,636. As a result of this venture the village of Lotteryville grew up. In 1893, the village received the more poetic but less descriptive name of Avondale. At that time the mail between Westerly and Watch Hill was carried by stage, and the residents of the village petitioned for a post office of their own. Since the word lottery could not be used in connection with the United States Government, the reply to the petition was that the post office would be granted if the name of the place were changed. Mastuxet, Ninigret, and other names associated with Indian history were suggested, and rejected by the authorities at Washington because of the difficulty in spelling and pronouncing them. Avondale was once an important boat landing for the town of Westerly and the docks formed a nucleus around which the village life centered. The docks are now used by small fishing boats and pleasure craft.

 

WATCH HILL (alt. 40, Westerly Town), 5.5 m., lies on a beautiful seaside; it has numerous little hill crests so that many houses enjoy elevations of their own. The majority of the homes are comfortable rather than showy, and are set in carefully tended grounds. Ample city conveniences add to the pleasure of the vacationist; there are hotel accommodations of all sorts. (Fishing, bathing, and other water sports are available at reasonable charge.)

 

This famous resort has one of the finest beaches in New England. Beginning at the base of a hill on the shore, a narrow strip of land extends directly west from Watch Hill Point for about one mile to Napatree Point, and then changing its course it runs north for another mile to Sandy Point. The beach or sandspit presents the shape of an arm bent at right angles, or of a sickle, and partly encloses Little Narragansett Bay, a body of water about nine miles in circumference into which empties the Pawcatuck River. While the shore eastward from Watch Hill Point is surf -washed, with a dangerous undertow, the western shore, with its enclosed waters, offers excellent and safe bathing. The development of Watch Hill as a resort began in 1840, when a hotel was erected, but few private cottages and villas were built until about 1870. Since then the village has grown steadily.

 

Near the village center on Bay St., is the bronze Ninigret Statue, given to the Watch Hill summer colony by the late Mrs. Clement Griscom; it represents the Indian chieftain Ninigret kneeling on one knee and holding a fish in each hand, and rests on a large boulder with a pool at the base, set in the midst of native shrubs; the figure looks out over Little Narragansett Bay. This park was designed and the plans given to the Improvement Society by one of its members, Miss Marian Coffin, a Fellow of the American Society of Landscape Architects. The statue was modeled in Paris by the American sculptress Enid Yandell, and cast by Alexis Rudier. The commission was received at a time when Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show was playing in Paris, so the sculptress was able to procure a real Indian from the troupe for her model.

 

At 5.6 m. on Bay St., is the junction with Fort Rd.

 

Right on Fort Rd. is the Watch Hill Yacht Club (private), on a wharf extending into Little Narragansett Bay; it is a two-story white frame building. The club offers varied boating facilities, yacht races, and other water sports, and sponsors weekly races for the young people during the summer.

 

Opposite the Yacht Club is the new Watch Hill Beach Club (private), formally opened in July, 1937, one of the chief centers of the summer colony. This bungalow type building, about 62 feet long, is of frame construction, shingled, with white trim. The club has a large stone terrace on the beach front, and an attractive awning covered porch on the back, or Little Narragansett Bay side.

 

At the end of Fort Rd., about 1.5 m. from the village center, is Napatree Point, whose name is a combination of the words Naps and Tree Point; the Naps is the neck of land leading to Tree Point. It was once a battlefield for the Narragansett, Niantic, Montauk, and Pequot Indians. It is said that this neck of land was formerly so broad that it contained a swamp and pond that served as a haunt for foxes. The Point forms the extreme southwest tip of Rhode Island. Only a narrow channel of water separates the end of Sandy Point from the Connecticut mainland. The elbow of the Point is about 600 feet wide, but the rest of the'strip of land is no more than 150 feet in width. A house, which for many years stood on the Naps, was washed away by the great gale of September, 1815.

 

On Napatree Point, more than a half mile beyond the last house on Fort Rd., and overgrown with straggling beach grass and almost hidden by the shifting sands is a ruin of concrete walls and underground caverns, the Remains of Fort Mansfield, the scene of many sham battles. In 1898, the Federal Government purchased the Point from Henry G. Gorham of New York City and erected a fort and nearly 50 buildings. Though built just before the outbreak of the Spanish-American War, its three batteries of eight-inch disappearing guns were never called upon to repel an enemy. At the time of the World War, the fort was too obsolete and unfavorably placed to be of value. The land and buildings were sold in 1927 to a syndicate of Watch Hill and Westerly residents, and the fort was razed. The tops of the remaining heavy concrete walls are now flush with the sand dunes on which they were built. One can find some stairways and a circular hole in which was the elevator from the powder magazine. The walls are honey-combed with openings that formerly led to the storerooms. The ordnance and most of the other metal work were removed by the War Department several years ago.

 

On Lighthouse Rd. a little to the east of the village center is the United States Coast Guard Station (open). Before 1879 the only life-saving equipment here was an old whaleboat, kept under canvas and manned by a volunteer crew. This crew was of great aid in saving 33 lives from the steamer 'Metis,' wrecked off the coast in 1872. The lack of adequate equipment, however, caused the Government to erect a regular lifesaving station. In 1907-08 the present station, a two-story frame structure with a tower, was erected near the old station which was razed in 1935. It is equipped to care for any emergency that may arise, but the breeches buoy has only been used twice. The following account of a rescue is taken from the log of February u, 1896:

 

Belle R. Heull of Providence, R.I., Capt. John W. Taylor from Port Johnson with 302 tons of egg coal for Newport, R.I., sprung a leak about four miles east of the race at 5 o'clock this morning every effort was made by Capt. Taylor and crew to save the vessel, but the leak appeared to be general. The vessel badly strained by the heavy wind and mountainous seas. The vessel was seen by the life saving crew running for the beach in a sinking condition. At 7 A.M. a fearful squall from the S.S.W. accompanied by snow blew away the jib and foresail. In the absence of keeper Davis of the station Elnathan Burdick No. i of the crew ordered out the beach apparatus and were on hand with gun in position when the vessel 5 f nick the beach at 8:15 A.M. about % mile E.N.E. of the station. The gun was fired but once and fifteen minutes later the Captain's wife, Captain and crew, five all told, were safely landed on the beach by the use of Breeches-buoy. Ten minutes after the last man was landed on the beach, the mast of the vessel went down and the vessel completely collapsed and the debris strewn along the beach. Had it not been for the timely assistance rendered by the life saving crew Capt. Taylor said they would in all probability have perished as no boat could have lived in such a surf as was running at the time the vessel struck. The crew lost all their effects and were clothed by clothing furnished by the supply at the life saving station. The crew were Capt. John W. Taylor and wife of Providence, R.I. mate Leenis Mitchellsen of Norway, cook Joseph Leivsan of Cape Verde Islands, Seaman John Rittenson of Denmark. Capt. Taylor says his vessel would have sunk in y^ hour more if he had not run her ashore. There was five feet of water in the hold when she struck. Capt. Taylor has saved a few things from the wreck such as sails and rigging and etc. About $100. value.

Skipper, John W. Davis.

 

During the year 1936 this station gave two major and thirty miscellaneous assistances to vessels; seven lives were saved; fifty-one persons aboard vessels were aided and property valued at $406,350 was preserved.

 

The site of Watch Hill Lighthouse, near the Coast Guard Station, was purchase by the Federal Government in 1806 from George and Thankful Foster. The light was first shown in 1808; Jonathan Nash served as lightkeeper for 27 years. The first building was a round tower of wood and shingle construction; in 1858 this was replaced by the present redbrick, whitewashed structure with a granite tower. The point around the lighthouse has been built up by huge granite blocks. The lens makes a complete revolution, showing flashes of red and white every 15 seconds; on a clear night it is seen 1 8 to 20 miles at sea.

 

On the south side of Bluff Ave., on what was originally called Watch Hill, is the. Site of a Watch-Tower . The first signal station was apparently built during the French and Indian War, 1754-63, and used smoke by day and fire by night for its messages. During the Revolution the tower was kept ready by a special guard assigned to look for British vessels. Several years ago Mrs. George G. Snowden's Holiday House was erected on this hill; this large white frame house, with bungalow sidings, four large chimneys, dormer windows and a series of hip roofs, is one of the show places of the resort.